Tuesday, April 7, 2009

So, with the assumption that you, my friends, would care to know of my doings in Korea, land of the morning calm, I have begun this blog. I have been here three days as of now, and here is what I have learned: Kim Chi is delicious; Korean beer is on a par with Miller High Life; plumbing is a deeply confusing subject; and you do not bow with your hands in your pockets.

First, the plumbing. I may never have another hot shower. There's this little console full of buttons on the wall of my apartment that control the heat, ac, and hot water. All in Korean, of course, and I can't figure the fucker out. I was near tears and punching things yesterday morning. I wonder what my neighbors think of my 7 am yelling in the bathroom. Gastrointestinal troubles? Too much spicy food for the American next door? I look at those buttons and feel in my soul the meaning of the word inscrutable. I also can't get the gas range lit, but this hasn't been a problem since I have yet to buy any groceries.

I hope no one expects any insights for awhile. So far, things have been Lost in Translation-lite: cultural differences are difficult, and frustrating, and funny, and you get over them and are a better person. That's the idea, right? Except that cultural differences haven't yet been a problem - I don't think I've seen enough culture - just appliance differences. Today is my first day off, and I haven't even started teaching yet. I plan to go to Seoul, look at some temples, look around, be a tourist now so I can feel like an old pro later. Maybe I'll gain some insight, or some stuff to put in my apartment. More on it, Uijeongbu, and my day in Seoul on the next post. See, I said post. I'm already a blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment